Sunday, April 12, 2009

Caravan holidays

I haven't done many caravan holidays - but I have very fond memories of two.

The first time that I clearly remember is visiting Dunbar where my in-laws had rented a caravan just off the links golf course. If my memory isn't playing tricks on me, we stayed for a few days - and it was a quick walk from the caravan to the beach. The weather was glorious and the atmosphere lovely and friendly.

The second time I stayed in a caravan was when I met my second husband. A friend and I visited her parents' caravan near Strachur in Argyll. (OK, it was a static van rather than a mobile caravan) and it was very comfortable. We had a great holiday - and when, on the first evening, we went to the Glendale hotel, I met Sandy and that sealed my fate. The small, exlusive park is still there - but, strangely, I haven't been back in over 20 years. I still think fondly of the experience though.

Caravan holidays can be as straightforward or as complicated as you like. I prefer the freedom of choosing when to have breakfast, when to face the world - and love being able to cook simple meals (although I do love to go out for meals as well). Also, dress code can be slightly more relaxed than staying in hotels. The nice thing about owning or hiring a caravan is that there is usually a fairly sociable group of people who will welcome you and help with any problems - or who will leave you to your own devices, if that's what you prefer.

I'm checking out second-hand caravans right now - I'm told that the bargains are being picked up fast as more people choose to tow their holiday home behind them as they cut down on the expenses of vacations.

No comments: