Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chemo Fog and Brain Health


Those of you who know (and love?) me, know that this year has been a challenge. Starting with a hysterectomy at the beginning of the year, I have also undergone a short course of chemotherapy followed by a short course of radiotherapy (mostly as a precautionary measure to mop up any rogue cancer cells). For the most part, I have coped extremely well with the treatment - apart from losing my hair, there have been very few side effects. However, one thing which is obvious from within (and I don't know if I'm concealing it as well as I hoped) is the chemo fog in which I live.

My life hasn't changed significantly as a result of the treatment - but I do find my ability to recall names and events has been changed. Suddenly I have this "doddery" approach to things which a few months ago wouldn't have phased me at all. I have been looking around to see if other people are in the same boat; well, of course they are, because this is a well recognised after-effect of the chemo. I also came across a website which offers information and help on improving the health of my brain function. The sign-up is free and there is an online assessment of your cognitive abilities. I am about to sign up and check my brain health and then see what recommended exercises are to keep my brain strong and healthy for as long as possible.

The Cognifit website doesn't only deal with people with "Chemo Brain" - but all kinds of memory impairment. I'd be interested to hear how you get on :)

No comments: