Sunday, July 31, 2011

Turtle paints picture

Some weird and wonderful things happen when you surf the internet - and tonight I came across a picture "painted" by a turtle belonging to artist Kira Ayn Varszegi.

Koopa is a box turtle with whom I formed a special bond immediately. He came from an environment of neglect and abandon, so I nurtured him and gained his trust. Koopa follows me around, does tricks, is housebroken, comes when called (selectively) and behaves like a kitten or puppy. I always let him lead a tank-free life, which I know he needs and appreciates. In 2003, Koopa walked onto my unattended paint palette, which changed my life forever.

I reconfirmed (via MSDS) that the ingredients of the paints I'd been using for the "Hope" series were safe, non-toxic, and washable. I also consulted Koopa's vet. I tested individual colors on his skin in tiny amounts, then over the next 4-5 months we simulated the painting experience without paint - I made sure Koopa wouldn't freak out from my camera's flash or from being rinsed off in the shower. I sold his artwork on eBay, and it was an instant success. My career as a solo artist was put on hold while Koopa's career flourished for 5 years. I still created, just not as much, due to time constraints.


Kira's Painting by Breast series of pictures regularly sell online - and I could scarcely take my eyes off the photos of the turtle "creating" a picture.

I must have less caffeine, I think!

No comments: