Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Paintballing - anyone?

I must have been slightly deranged when I bought the domain name http://www.paintballware.com - but I was trying to put together a little hotsheet for someone about buying a domain name through 000domains.com. I happen to like the 000domains service - and regularly buy domain names there. However, I needed to see how the service worked as I wrote my hotsheet - and I knew that the paintballware.com domain name was available.

When I started on the internet, like a lot of newbies, I found it extremely difficult to understand some of the basic concepts; f'rinstance, why was hosting different from a domain name? It took me quite some time to understand that the domain name is like a specific reference point on a map (eg your home address) and the web hosting is the space which your domain name occupies on a computer "web server". To make sure that your web site can be found, you need a domain name which can be reached by computers users all around the world and this is done for you by the registrar when you buy the domain name.

Anyway, to get back to paintballware.com, it's not as if I know anything about paintballing; nor indeed am I fit enough to struggle through boggy, rough terrain playing hide and seek. The idea does appeal, though, and I can see the attraction it would have in team-building exercises!

If you're interested in acquiring the domain name, please check it out at our online auction at Sell My Domain

If you would like a copy of the hotsheet which I put together on acquiring domain names at 000domains.com, then you can download it from here.

Buy a domain through 000domains.com

This is a pdf file which can be opened by PC/MAC users using Adobe's free PDF reader.

No comments: