Thursday, March 16, 2006

The east wind doth blow and we shall have snow

Snow? In Scotland?? - I know many folks expect Scotland to be covered in a blanket of snow for much of the year. The truth is different, of course. Scotland benefits from the warmth of the Gulf stream for most of the time - and it's only occasionally that we seem to have a cold winter.

While the forecasters were predicting a severe winter for the UK, it's only in the last few days that we have seen much snow in the west of Scotland. It never lasts long. We had a snowfall of about 8" last Sunday and it had all but disappeared on Tuesday in the low-lying areas. What we have now is a cold easterly wind with occasional flurries of snow blowing around - but again, the general temperature is above freezing point, so the snow is melting quickly.

I'm loving it! This is reminiscent of many winters when I was a kid in the 50s. The quality of the daylight seems much better and I've hardly needed an umbrella at all this winter. (Shiver me timbers, that's bound to bring on a deluge!) The trick to this kind of weather is to wear layers of lightweight clothing so that you can be comfortable outside and when you come back indoors.

I'm away to rediscover the joys of wearing lip salve - and I'm going to walk in the woods later on and find some lovely spring catkins!

Later
M

No comments: